PortStore2 PL: Serial port logger over Ethernet
Warning: Product is not available any more. We accept only orders for 100 or more pieces.
PortStore2 PL reads call accounting data (CDR/SMDR) over RS-232 from a PBX (private branch exchange). Received data are stored in its internal 2MB flash memory.
Stored data are later retrieved by a PC-based application, or periodically sent to a server over TCP/IP.
You can use the supplied application to retrieve the data from the buffer, or write your own software based on the programming examples.
Big product picture
Data received from the serial port are safely stored in the internal Flash memory and protected against power failures.
- PortStore2 PL can be connected to any PBX with a RS-232 output of call accounting data.
- PortStore2 PL can work in the TCP Client mode, establishing a connection once per hour. It can therefore work with a standard ADSL Internet connection, behind a NAT, with a private IP address.
- TEA-encrypted authentication enables secure manipulation with the data even over the open, insecure Internet.
- A special RepBuf protocol enables restoration and reloading of data that have already been retrieved.
- PortStore2 PL can be used for data logging (CDR/SMDR call accounting), and, at the same time, for remote access to the serial port of the device via a virtual serial port (remote PBX administration).
- The remote port is controlled with a virtual Windows driver that binds, for instance, to COM 5, and is compatible with RFC2217. The Windows 2000 / XP driver is available free of charge. (See Software > HW VSP)
- SW applications and tools for all target users:
- Data retrieval application for end users
- Examples and source codes for easy implementation of the product into your SW
- Corporate PBX: Connect your existing analog PBX to PS2 PL and feed the data to your existing call analysis software via a virtual serial port (e.g. COM7). You do not need to change anything.
PBXs in branch offices: Connect the exchanges in all your branch offices to the Internet via PS2 PL, and analyze both completed and ongoing calls with any software designed to analyze call accounting records (CDR / SMDR / CIL analysis). You can even connect both analog and VoIP exchanges to a single central site.
- Backing up data from a serial printer: A surveillance/security system in a building prints basic information about the building. This information needs to be archived.
PortStore2 PL stores data about alarms in its internal flash memory. A central server periodically retrieves the data and archives them. The buffer capacity is sufficient for approximately 35,000 standard lines.
Software and tools for PS2
- UDP Config
Assign device IP address to the device.
- PS2 Config
Easy to use utility to make PortStore2 PL configuration more easy. PBX emulator on local serial port included for easy setup.
- PortStore2 Downloader GUI:
Simple utility to download stored data from the PortStore2 PL unit with Windows user interface.
Data transfer mode is automatically detected.
- PortStore2 Downloader CMD:
Simple utility to download stored data from the PortStore2 PL unit. Working as CMD (command line) version.
Other data retrieval application
- PS Eye
Windows application that periodically retrieves the data and stores them on a PC. Supports operation in "NT Service" mode in Win NT/2000/XP. Executable file as well as source code (Borland C++) is available.
Examples and source code for SW developers
- Set of examples in the HWg SDK demonstrates how to work with PortStore2 PL
SDK is free of charge; however, you must register with your e-mail to download it.
- EX114: PortStore Downloader CMD (C++ Builder)
- EX118: PS_downloader (C++Builder)
- EX214: PortStore Downloader CMD (MSVC 6.0)
- EX218: PortStore Downloader (MSVC 6.0)
- EX318: PortStore Downloader (Delphi 6, ActiveX)
- EX418: PortStore Downloader (VB 6.0, ActiveX)
- EX518: PortStore Downloader (.NET C# , ActiveX)
Command-line and configuration utilities for administrators
- Hercules SETUP Utility
Multifunction utility that is useful for configuring and testing the device.
- HW Virtual Serial Port
Virtual serial port for Windows is a software driver that adds a virtual serial port to the operating system, e.g. COM5, and redirects the data from this port to another hardware interface.
FAQ & Support
Q: What is the difference between PortStore2 PL and the other PortStore products?
A: For a detailed comparison, see the table at the Call accounting products page.
Q: Retrieving the data from the buffer in the RAW format does not suit my needs, not even with the RepBuf protocol. Is it possible to retrieve the data over FTP or HTTP?
A: Not with PortStore2 PL. FTP and HTTP is supported in PortStore4.
Q: Is the communication secure?
A: To increase security in TCP mode, both parties to the TCP/IP connection can authenticate themselves using the TEA 128 symmetric encryption algorithm every time the connection is established. This way, the password shared by the parties is never sent over the network in plaintext.
Q: Is it possible to extend the connection timeout?
A: Yes, PortStore2 PL supports configuring a connection timeout of up to one hour (unlike one minute in PortStore).
We always keep several units in stock. We ship worldwide, using FedEx or other carriers. Request a quote
PortStore2 PL set
The recommended starter set, PortStore2 PL set [600 382], lets you start using the product right away.
- PortStore2 PL unit 
- 1x power adaptor, fits into a wall outlet –  EU version
The adaptor can be changed to the UK or USA version, if you specify so in your order.
- DB9 LapLink cable 2m  (photo)
- CD with documentation, firmware files, testing utilities and other SW
We can supply a PortStore2 PL starter set, or just the unit – as specified by the ordering ID number, OID. Please call for the lead time of uncommon types, or request lead time confirmation in your order.
||PortStore2 PL (photo)
PortStore2 PL unit only, no accessories
||PortStore2 PL SET (photo)
Recommended starter set, contains:
- PortStore2 [600 376]
- EU Power adaptor 
- DB9 LapLink cable 2m 
- Manual, CD
|PortStore2, Serial port logger, capture serial printers, pbx CDR, serial SMDR, rs232 capture
PBX call accounting, remote rs-232 pbx, replace serial printer, serial printer over Ethernet, centralize serial printers data, rs-232 data capture over IP, connect serial port printer over IP
Similar and related pages