EZL-80 and EZL-80c - WiFi converter - RS-232/TTL
EZL-80 and EZL-80c is an universal RS232 (TTL) converter for a wireless
data transfer via WiFi 802.11b. The module si then connected with a WiFi card
containing a radio part. Without further programming the module can be connected
directly to the serial port of microcontrollers or intelligent sensors.
A built-in EZL-80 converter supports conversion from a TTL serial
line to a standard WiFi (Wireless LAN) IEE802.11b which mediates wireless
Ethernet in the frequency band 2.4 to 2.4835 GHz by a DSSS (Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum)
method. This way it's possible to reach the wireless data transfer up to
the distance of hundreds of meters by the TCP/IP protocol and send data
to any Access Point in a LAN network.
Because the module supports the conversion of a TTL 3.3V serial data signal, it's suitable
for direct connection to the serial line of master microcontrollers and CPU.
The configuration change can be simply achieved by AT command sequence of a directly
Division into 2 types:
- EZL - 80 - embedded module for transmitting WiFi PCMCIA card
without directly integrated slot on the module board.
- EZL - 80c - embedded module with integrated slot for a WiFi Compact Flash.
EZL-80 module (detail)
EZL-80c module(contains WiFi CF card slot)
- To ease the application development, a complete Kit for EZL-80c can be ordered => EZL-90 (see picture on the right)
- Ethernet Network ( WiFi IEEE 802.11b ) - EZL-80c - slot for a WiFi
CF card, EZL-80 - port for WiFi CF and PCMCIA card (signals only)
- 1x serial port 3.3V UART/TLL accessible via WiFi Ethernet
- Virtual serial port (ezVSP) for Windows - in your PC for example as a
serial port COM 7
- Devices together can wirelessly interconnect serial port over WiFi.
- Intuitive simple configuration software for Windows (by means of
WiFi, RS-232, AT commands), very easy installation
- Data safety - support of all safety precautions for WiFi technology
- SSID, WEP 64bit/128bit coding, selection of communication channel, password-protected access into settings
- External DC 3.3V power supply unit
Datasheets & Links
EZL-80 converter, or EZL-80c, is connected to the device communicating via
serial transmission. Opposite side is represented by other WiFi device (in so called Ad-hoc
mode) or WiFi AP (Access Point), which accesses serial port over classic Ethernet network.
In case of using more WiFi Access Points connected into single network the converter can
move freely between them.
- Remote sensors' comunication (e.g. electronical thermometers) and PC.
- Wireless data transmission for projection of information on displays.
- Immediate data retrieving of the MaR system (Measuring and Regulation) by a notebook
or PDA attendance.
- Wireless realization of factory networks with connection to LAN and Internet.
- Security systems
- Remote controlling of mobile machines
- Data synchronization of portable devices with PC
- Wireless communication of measuring devices (multimeters, oscilloscopes and others)
| + Data bits
|| 7 or 8
| + Parity
|| None / Odd / Even
| + Baud rates
|| 1.2 .. 115.2 kBd - whole range (full duplex).
|+ Data flow control
|| CTS/RTS, None
|| TTL, 3.3V level
EZL-80: 2mm pin header - male (RxD,TxD,RTS,CTS,GND)
EZL-80c: 2.54mm pin header - male (RxD,TxD,RTS,CTS,GND)
|+ Used RS-232 signals
- RTS and CTS pins are used after activation only
|+ Buffer size
||1 kbytes reception buffer and 512 bytes transmission
| + Interface
|| EZL-80: interface signals for CF and PCMCIA cards
- 2mm male pin header
EZL-80c: CF card slot (16bit, 3.3V)
(WiFi - Prism 2.5 compatible interface)
||WiFi - IEEE802.11b Wireless LAN (infrastructure/ad-hoc)
|+ Supported protocols
||TCP, UDP, IP, ICMP, ARP, DHCP, WEP
|+ TCP connection closing
|| Data - timeout (optional)
||WEP 64/128bit (optional), SSID, channel number
||Integrated or Integrated + Ext. MMCX connector (PCMCIA only)
| Environmental conditions
| + Operating temperature
|| 0– 70 °C
| Physical parameters
|+ Voltage requirements
- 2 mm (EZL-80) or 2.54 mm (EZL-80c) pin connector
| + Dimensions
|| EZL-80: 600x 35x 9[mm] (H x W x D )
EZL-80c: 600x 56x 10[mm] (H x W x D )
| + Weight
|| EZL-80: 11g
|Device SETUP configuration possibilities
|| - over any RS-232 - ezSerialConfig Windows
- over any serial - AT commands
over WiFi - ezConfig Windows software
- firmware download
over RS-232 (ISP mode) - wflash Windows software
||LINK & Activity on serial and WLAN
- only signals are in the connector
Ethernet communication modes :
Converter can behave as a client/server device according to
chosen MUX TYPE (function modes):
||Passive = TCP Server
||Converter listens on the selected port and awaits
client's connection which can thereafter send or receive data
||TCP Client or TCP Server
||Communication is operated by transmitting AT commands over
serial line which allows setting of the client/server mode
||Active = TCP Client
||Converter establishes connection when RS-232 port receives the data
and allows a transmission.
||Defined TCP port awaits data and sends them to IP address
without a transmission control. This allows using a broadcast.
Other supported communication protocols : ARP, EZCFG, DHCP
Program ezVSP (Virtual Serial Port):
- Program installation is conditioned by an ownership of at least one module.
- During installation it's necessary to enter the MAC address of the module
and a key which is obtained by a registration on Sollae webpage.
Further installation description can be found in the
Configuration via ezSerialConfig:
- To create contact between configuration program and the module, the communication
WiFi card must not be connected.
- Configured baud rate of a module's serial port doesn't affect the communication speed
at configuration (communication baud rate is 19200bps)
- Do not confuse the EzSerialConfig program for EZL-80
with the same program for EZL-300W. They are two different programs.
- The connection of the module's serial port and the application must be performed
by so called "zero mode" principle. That means connection of the RxD - TxD and RTS -
CTS pins from the view of both ends of the connecting cable.
- Considering the supply voltage 3.3V it's necessary for reliable function to use a WiFi card
for operation at the 3.3V level.
- for module configuration from PC via LAN and WiFi.
Allows setting parameters for Ethernet and serial transmision.
- ezcfg24.zip (85kB)
- for module configuration via serial RS-232 interface
Allows to configure all parameters (for WiFi, Ethernet, serial
- for loading firmware via RS-232.
The latest firmware can be freely downloaded from producer's webpage.
- wflash13a.zip (69kB)
- for firmware loading via WiFi
- hotflash.zip (97kB)
- for testing communication (terminal for PC)
- ezterm.zip (69kB)
- Virtual Serial Port for Windows - creates on the PC a virtual
serial port (e.g. COM 7) which can be referenced by other programs
and communicated as with the RS-232 interface even though the data
transfer is actually via TCP/IP.
Note: Program is intended for Windows 2000/XP only
- ezVSP14a.zip (4,3MB)
Note: All programs (except ezVSP) work under
Windows 98 and higher
FAQ & support..
Question: I'm a little bit confused. What is then the difference between versions 80 and 80C?
Answer: : In the 80 version there's no connector for a WiFi card assembled and this connector must be placed on a mainboard. Version 80c presumes usage of a CF WiFi card and the connector for this card is therefore already mounted.
Question: So it's possible to connect a CF card to the EZL-8O?
Answer: Yes but the module must be mounted into your printed circuit which would contain a connector for a PCMCIA or CF card on it. Both technologies are nearly the same and even notebooks are connected with CF cards only via a mechanical reduction.
Question: Is it necessary to program the module some way if
I only need a simple GateWay from RS-232 (TTL) to TCP/IP or
Answer: NO, you only need to use the module and set
necessary parameters. You don't have to program anything!
Question: Would the module work as a Virtual Serial Port
Answer: YES, the converter fully supports
the function of remote Virtual Serial Port through TCP/IP. Moreover the producer offers
free program ezVSP to download. It's only necessary to register and give the MAC address
of the module you've bought.
Question: Is it possible to configure the module also by
other means than through Windows programs?
Question: Is it possible to change a FirmWare in the module
Answer: YES, by the means of AT commands through
serial port and any terminal. The sequence of ASCII chars as AT commands can be thus
transmitted even from singlechip microcontroller. The list of usable AT commands with
examples of correct configuration sequences contains the detailed manual for specific module.
Answer: Yes it is,
innovated FirmWares can be downloaded from the Sollae's webpage (www.ezTCP.com)
and load into the module via RS-232 and wflash program or via
WiFi-Ethernet by the means of the program hotflash.
Question: What is the difference between the
EZL-80 a EZL-80c converters ?
Answer: Built-in module EZL-80
does not contain an integrated slot for broadcast WiFi card. It only provides
necessary signals for the slot on its port's pins. This allows minimalizing
the size, card selection option (PCMCIA or Compact Flash)
and placing it outside of the module itself. Module EZL-80c has already integrated slot
for WiFi Compact Flash card on its body. The difference is then in slots, connectors
and therefore size of the modules. All other is the same.
Question: Does a kit for WiFi PCMCIA
card exist ?
Answer: There are some samples
within the frame of distributors and producer (Sollae company) but this kit is not yet
intended for sale. But an encased module EZL-300W Lite can be chosen instead which
already contains the slot for a PCMCIA card. Other its properties
(conversion, configuration etc.) are consistent with the EZL-80 module.
Question: Does the built-in module with already
integrated slot for PCMCIA card exist?
Answer: No, slot for such a large card
cannot be directly integrated on the module with in reference to keep its
small proportions, low weigh and sufficient mechanic strength. It's possible
to use encased EZL-300W Lite module as an alternative, which
already has built-in slot for a PCMCIA card.
Question: Does the ezVSP (Virtual
Serial Port) software allow creating more than one virtual port?
Answer: Yes, this software allows to set
up to 127 virtual ports on one PC. Detailed guide on this can be found in the program's manual
which is free to download on this page in menu item "Datasheets".
More Sollae WiFi converters:
- EZL-90 - kit for the EZL-80c modules containing
converter RS-232, LED indication and power supply
- EZL-300W - complete encased converter with a
LED indication and power supply
- EZL-300W Lite - simpler
EZL-300W module version