EZL- 90 - WiFi converter - RS-232
EZL-90 is a RS232 converter for data transmission via WiFi 802.11b.
A WiFi card containing radio part is connected to the module. Module can be connected directly to
RS-232 port of any device without further programming.
EZL-90 converter supports the conversion of RS-232C signals to standard WiFi
(Wireless LAN) IEEE802.11b, which provides wireless Ethernet in the frequency
range 2.4 to 2.4835 GHz by a DSSS (Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum) method.
This way it's possible to reach the wireless data transfer up to the distance
of hundreds of meters by the TCP/IP protocol and send data to any Access Point
in a LAN network.
The module serves as a kit for an EZL-80c module which is shipped as a part of
an EZL-90 module or separately.
EZL - 90 module
- The EZL-90 development kit contains the EZL-80c module => EZL-80
- Ethernet Network ( WiFi IEEE 802.11b ) - slot for WiFi Compact Flash
- 1x full RS-232 serial port accessible over WiFi Ethernet
- Virtual serial port (ezVSP) for Windows - in PC for example as a serial port COM 7
- Devices together can wirelessly interconnect RS-232 port over WiFi.
- Intuitive simple configuration software for Windows (by means of
WiFi, RS-232, AT commands), very easy installation
- Data safety - support of all safety precautions for WiFi technology
- SSID, WEP 64bit/128bit coding, selection of communication channel,
password-protected access into settings
- LED indication of operation and communication
- Powered by an external DC 5V power supply unit. A voltage regulator is a part of the module.
Datasheets & Links
EZL-90 converter connected to the device communicating via serial RS-232 transmission.
Opposite side is represented by other WiFi device (in so called Ad-hoc mode)
or WiFi AP (Access Point), which accesses serial port into classic Ethernet network.
In case of using more WiFi Access Points connected into single network the converter
can move freely between them.
EZL-90 is only a sample of the development kit but the modules EZL-80 and EZL-80c are
for example suitable for these applications:
- Remote communication of sensors and general enter component parts (e.g. electronic thermometers)
- Wireless data transmission for information projection on displays.
- Immediate retrieving data of the MaR system (Measuring and Regulation) by a notebook or PDA attendance.
- Wireless realization of factory networks with connection to LAN and Internet.
- Security systems
- Remote controlling of mobile machines
- Data synchronization of portable devices with PC
- Wireless communication of measuring devices (multimeters, oscilloscopes and others)
|Serial port RS-232
| + Data bits
|| 7 or 8
| + Parity
|| None / Odd / Even
| + Baud rates
|| 1.2 .. 115.2 kBd - whole range (full duplex).
|+ Data flow control
|| CTS/RTS, None
|| 9 pin Dsub - male (RxD,TxD,RTS,CTS,GND)
|+ Used RS-232 signals
- RTS and CTS pins are used after activation only
|+ Buffer size
||1 kbytes reception buffer and 512 bytes transmission
| + Interface
|| CF card slot (16bit, 3.3V)
(WiFi - Prism 2.5 compatible interface)
||WiFi - IEEE802.11b Wireless LAN (infrastructure/ad-hoc)
|+ Supported protocols
||TCP, UDP, IP, ICMP, ARP, DHCP, WEP
|+ TCP connection closing
|| Data - timeout (optional)
||WEP 64/128bit (optional), SSID, channel number
| Environmental conditions
| + Operating temperature
|| 0– 70 °C
| Physical parameters
|+ Voltage requirements
|| 5V/ cca. 500mA DC (It depends on CF card)
- barrel (coaxial) power connector, GND on the shield
| + Dimensions
|| 60x 123x 21[mm] (H x W x D )
| + Weight
|Device SETUP configuration possibilities
|| - over any RS-232 - ezSerialConfig Windows
- over any serial - AT commands
over WiFi - ezConfig Windows software
- firmware download
over RS-232 (ISP mode) - wflash Windows software
||LINK & Activity on serial and WLAN
Ethernet communication modes :
Converter can behave as a client/server device according to chosen MUX TYPE (function modes):
||Passive = TCP Server
||Converter listens on the selected port and awaits client's
connection which can thereafter send or receive data
||TCP Client or TCP Server
||Communication is operated by transmitting AT commands
over serial line which allows setting of the client/server mode (COD, T2S).
||Active = TCP Client
||Converter establishes connection when RS-232
port receives the data and allows transmission.
||Defined TCP port awaits data and
sends them to IP address without a transmission control. This allows using a broadcast.
Other supported communication protocols : ARP, EZCFG, DHCP, TELNET
EzVSP program (Virtual Serial Port):
- Instalation of this program is conditioned by
ownership of at least one module.
- During installation it's necessary to enter the MAC address of the module
and a key which is obtained by a registration on Sollae webpage.
Further installation description can be found in the program manual.
Configuration over ezSerialConfig:
- To create contact between configuration program with a module
the communication WiFi card must not be connected.
- Configured baud rate of the module's serial port doesn't affect the communication
speed at configuration (communication baud rate is 19200bps).
- Do not confuse the EzSerialConfig program for EZL-80 with the same program for EZL-300W. They are two different programs.
- The interconnection of the module's serial port and the application
must be performed by so called "zero mode" principle. That means
interconnection of the RxD - TxD and RTS - CTS pins from the view
of both ends of the connecting cable.
- Considering the module's internal supply voltage 3.3V (modul contains the s
tabilizer from 5V) it's necessary for reliable function to use a WiFi card
for operation at the 3.3V level.
- for module configuration from PC via LAN and WiFi.
Allows setting parameters for Ethernet and serial transmision.
- ezcfg24.zip (85kB)
- for module configuration via serial RS-232 interface
Allows configuring all parameters (for WiFi, Ethernet, serial transmission).
- for loading firmware via RS-232.
The latest firmware can be freely downloaded from producer's webpage.
- wflash13a.zip (69kB)
- for firmware loading via WiFi
- hotflash.zip (97kB)
- for testing communication (terminal for PC)
- ezterm.zip (69kB)
- Virtual Serial Port for Windows - creates on the PC a virtual serial port
(e.g. COM 7) which can be referenced by other programs and communicated
as with the RS-232 interface even though the data transfer is actually via TCP/IP.
Note: Program is intended for Windows 2000/XP only
- ezVSP14a.zip (4,3MB)
Note: All programs (except ezVSP) work under OS Windows 98 and higher
Frequently Asked Questions & support..
Question: Is it necessary to program the module some way
if I only need a simple GateWay from RS-232 (TTL) to TCP/IP or UDP/IP?
Answer: NO, you only need to use the module and
set necessary parameters. You don't have to program anything!
Question: Would the module work as a Virtual Serial Port
Answer: YES, the converter fully supports the function of
remote Virtual Serial Port through TCP/IP. Moreover the producer offers free
program ezVSP to download. It's only necessary to register and give the MAC
address of the module you've bought.
Question: Is it possible to configure the module also
by other means than through Windows programs?
Question: Is it possible to change a FirmWare in the module?
Answer: YES, by the means of AT commands through serial port and any terminal.
The sequence of ASCII chars as AT commands can be thus transmitted
even from singlechip microcontroller. The list of usable AT commands
with examples of correct configuration sequences contains the detailed
manual for specific module.
Answer: Yes it is, innovated FirmWares can be downloaded from
the Sollae's webpage (www.ezTCP.com) and load into the module via RS-232 and wflash program
or via WiFi-Ethernet by the means of the program hotflash.
Question: Does a kit for WiFi PCMCIA card exist ?
Answer: There are some samples within the frame of
distributors and producer (Sollae company) but this kit is not yet intended for sale.
But an encased module EZL-300W Lite can be chosen instead which already contains the slot
for a PCMCIA card. Other its properties (conversion, configuration etc.) are consistent
with the EZL-80 module.
Question: Does a built-in module with already integrated slot for PCMCIA card exist?
Answer: No, slot for such a large card cannot
be directly integrated on the module with in reference to keep its small proportions,
low weigh and sufficient mechanic strength. It's possible to use encased EZL-300W Lite
module as an alternative, which already has built-in slot for a PCMCIA card.
Question: Does the ezVSP (Virtual Serial Port) software
allow creating more than one virtual port?
Answer: Yes, this software allows to set up
to 127 virtual ports on one PC. Detailed guide on this can be found in the program's
manual which is free to download on this page in menu item "Datasheets".
More Sollae WiFi converters:
- EZL-80 - incorporated EZL-80 and EZL-80c modules
- EZL-300W - complete encased converter with a LED indication and power supply
- EZL-300W Lite - simpler EZL-300W module version