Damocles2 MINI: LAN device with digital inputs and outputs (relays)
Damocles2 is a product for monitoring and controlling digital inputs and outputs over a LAN. When a digital input is closed, Damocles2 sends an e-mail, a SNMP trap, or a text message to a specified number. As an added advantage, it can be connected to the SensDesk.com portal.
Damocles2 MINI is a network device with relay outputs and digital inputs for connecting external detectors. Damocles2 can be connected to various monitoring systems. We support over 50 different third-party SNMP or SCADA applications.
It is typically used as a web relay (also called IP relay, webrelay or snmp relay), an on off switch or remote power control (e.g. remote power off) for remote products, and for connecting to IoT (Internet of Things). Users also use Damocles2 to measure consumption e.g. by connecting a water meter to a digital input (S0 counter).
Digital inputs for detectors and digital (relay) outputs
Four dry contacts can be connected to the Damocles2 MINI digital inputs (DI). Damocles2 MINI provides two digital relay outputs (DO) that can be controlled over a LAN.
The relay outputs can be switched on or off and the input states can be read using a web interface. Remote IO on a Damocles2 can be monitored remotely over the Internet using the SensDesk portal or a mobile app (SensDesk Mobile).
Damocles2 is often used as a remote ethernet relay for Poseidon2. We call this the “Box-2-Box” mode.
A virtual output of the Poseidon2 unit can be connected over the network to a physical relay output of the Damocles2 unit.
E-mail and SMS alerts
Alerts to changes in digital inputs – dry contact states (alarm) can be sent as a SNMP Trap, E-mail, or as a text message (SMS relay). Alerts can be delayed (for example to send an alert if a cooler door stays open for more than 5 minutes). The e-mail function supports TLS encryption.
All HW group devices can send text messages (SMS) through a single central gateway, the HWg-SMS-GW. Just a single SIM card can serve all your devices.
- Ethernet: RJ45 (10/100 BASE-T)
- WEB: Built-in web server (IPv6, HTTP, HTTPs)
- Data logger: Data logger for more than 250.000 records
Digital outputs (DO): 2x DO relay output (low-voltage NO/NC relay contact)
- Digital inputs (DI): 4x dry contact DI (state detector)
Pulse counters: 32-bit S0 counter at every DI
Can be connected to: Door contacts, smoke detectors, 110/230V power supply detector, water leak detector, fan failure detector
- Power supply: 9-30V DC
Operating temperature: -30°C to +85°C (14°F to +140°F)
- Mechanical: Metal box, 100 x 94 x 25 [mm] (H x W x D) / 260 g – can be mounted on a wall or on a DIN rail.
- Warranty: 2 years
- Cloud support: HWg-Push protocol, MQTT
- Reaction to a change at a DI: SNMP trap, Email (TLS), SMS
- Sending text messages (SMS) and dialing numbers: Alerts can be sent as text messages (SMS) via a remote “HWg-SMS-GW3” over the network, to a maximum of 5 phone numbers.
- M2M communication protocols: SNMP (SNMP version 1 and version 3), XML (HTTPs), Modbus/TCP, MQTT, HWg-Push
Box-2-Box mode: Remote relay output for other HW group products
- Support for programmers: HWg-SDK
- Recommended online portal: SensDesk.com – free online portal
- Supported software
- HWg-Trigger: Control of other IP devices, alarm redirection to SMS
- HWg PDMS: Logging, export to MS Excel, reports
- Third-party software (SCADA systems, Modbus/TCP)
Damocles2 product family
|DO (Digital Outputs)
|DI (Digital Inputs)
|32bit pulse counter on each DI
|HWg-Push protocol (required for SensDesk.com)
|SNMP v3 & HTTPs secure protocols
|-48V power for Telco
|VDO (Virtual Digital Output)
|PoE (IEEE 802.3af) support
- Remote equipment monitoring
Monitoring of A/C, UPS, security system status (status relays)
- Remote relay
Remote ethernet relay connected over a network – physical output of a Virtual Digital Output (VDO)
- Energy consumption metering
Counting of pulses from electricity / water / gas meters. Conversion to price per time period using HWg-PDMS and MS Excel.
UPS and back-up generator monitoring: Fuel level, diesel generator status, remote start over IP
- IP camera surveillance systems (external sensors)
- Equipment status, access control systems
- SCADA systems: Connection of external inputs to multiple independent systems
Remote IO monitoring and control over the Ethernet (secure)
Remote contact monitoring, secure I/O transfer to a central system (HTTPs / SSL security).
Values from inputs and outputs can be shared in several different applications. Relay outputs can be controlled as remote input/output.
Remote relay for a Poseidon2 unit
- When the main A/C fails (room temperature becomes too high), a Poseidon2 3266 detects this with a temperature sensor.
- Damocles2 MINI features a relay output that controls a backup A/C unit.
- The relay output of Damocles2 MINI is connected, using the Box-2-Box mode, to a Virtual Digital Output of the Poseidon2.
- The thermostat function in the Poseidon2 unit activates the VDO, the signal is carried over the network to Damocles2 MINI, and the backup A/C is switched on.
- Values are logged, the log can be displayed and processed e.g. in the HWg-PDMS utility for Windows.
- Connection to a NMS (SNMP monitoring) or SCADA (Modbus/TCP) system.
Secure connection of I/O over Ethernet
- Damocles2 MINI monitors the status of the connected fire alarm system. Alarms from individual zones are connected as dry contacts to digital inputs.
- Damocles2 MINI relay outputs can be connected to a security system or smart home control.
- DI and sensor states can be easily connected to a SCADA system, a BMS (Building Management System), etc.
- One Damocles2 unit can be connected to multiple systems at the same time.
- For secure applications, IPv6 or SSL communication over XML (HTTPs) and SNMPv3 can be used.
Detectors (most popular)
FDR26 Smoke Detector
Smoke detector (12VDC power, relay output)
Open door detector
Impaq shock sensor
Vibration detector (12VDC power, relay output)
Gas Leak Detector
Detector of flammable gases (12V, relay output)
Power failure detector (relay output)
Motion PIR detector
Motion detector (12VDC power supply)
>> Overview of all sensors and detectors
Software and applications
- Configuration: UDP Config – Configuring the IP address
- Reaction to events: HWg-Trigger (MS Windows)
Sends a text message or displays a warning whenever a value is out of a specified range or a monitored device fails
- Monitoring and logging: HWg-PDMS
Monitoring software, graphs, database of readings, output to MS Excel
- Online service for remote monitoring: www.SensDesk.com
- Third-party software:
- Mobile phone apps: iPhone, Android and more..
- Third-party SNMP (NMS) solutions compatible with HW group
Nagios, Cacti, Zabbix, The Dude, Paessler PRTG, OpenNMS, HP OpenView, IBM Tivoli, Axence nVision, Ipswitch WhatsUp, CA NSM, SNMPc and more..
- Third-party security solutions + IP cameras + home automation
- Third-party food & medical software solutions
- Third-party industrial / SCADA solutions
- For programmers: HWg-SDK
Description of the M2M interface and examples of collecting data and working with the protocols in several programming languages
>> Software and applications
Connecting to the SensDesk.com online portal
- Damocles2 MINI can be connected to the SensDesk.com online portal.
- From the SensDesk portal, the remote relay outputs can be controlled.
- All devices, sensors, values, history and charts can be viewed from anywhere over the web, or in a mobile app.
- For programmers: Devices connected to the SensDesk.com portal can be monitored using a XML interface.
- Cloud sensor: Damocles2 can be connected to cloud systems for IoT (MQTT).
>> About SensDesk.com online portal
Text message (SMS) alerts
Damocles2 MINI monitoring unit can send SMS alarms in several ways:
- Directly over the network using SMS-GW
A text message can be sent from the Damocles2 MINI I/O unit to a specified phone number using the HWg-SMS-GW gateway.
No software is needed. HWg-SMS-GW should be connected to the same LAN. Sender's phone number is defined by the SIM inserted in the HWg-SMS-GW unit. Recipient's phone number is configured in the Damocles2 unit, similarly to e-mail recipients.
One HWg-SMS-GW gateway can be shared by several devices (e.g. the STE2 WiFi/LAN thermometer in the picture).
- With the HWg-Trigger application for Windows
The HWg-Trigger application can run in the background on any PC with MS Windows. The application checks for device failures, disconnected sensors, or sensor readings outside of the Safe Range. Alarm relay status can be notified e.g. by sending a SMS to a specified number using a “HWg-SMS-GW” in the same LAN.
- With third-party software applications
Many SCADA (e.g. CapTemp) or SNMP (Nagios, Zabbix, ..) applications can monitor the status of the Damocles2 unit and send alerts via SMS.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the difference between Damocles2 and Poseidon2?
– Poseidon2 reads values from various sensors and only features a few I/O inputs and outputs.
– Damocles2 only supports dry contact digital inputs and digital outputs, does not support any sensors. Damocles2 features pulse counters at each input and Modbus/TCP protocol support in all models. Only a Damocles unit can work as the output for the Box-2-Box mode using SNMP traps and input/sensor names.
- I found several different Damocles2 devices. Are there any differences in their functions?
Damocles2 units only differ by the number of digital inputs and outputs, power options (12V / PoE / -48V) and the type of outputs (relay / open collector).
All Damocles2 models are the same in terms of protocols and software.
- Can I control relay outputs using the Damocles2 MINI web page? I.e. use it as a web controlled relay?
Yes. If the digital output (DO) is in the “Local condition” mode, turn off this mode first.
- Can Damocles2 MINI measure energy consumption?
Yes. However, you need an external meter with a pulse output. S0 pulses are then counted at a digital input (DI) of the Damocles2.
To measure energy consumed over a time period, e.g. [kWh] or [J], we recommend to use the HWg-PWR 3/12/25 device and a M-Bus enabled electricity meter, gas meter, water meter or heat meter.
- Damocles2 MINI supports pulse counting at digital inputs. What happens if the device is restarted?
Damocles2 MINI features a non-volatile memory that keeps the counter state even if the power supply is interrupted.
The 32-bit counter (max value: 4294967296) can be only reset over the web interface.
- Can Damocles2 MINI log values?
Yes, Damocles2 includes an internal memory for the data logger. Data are kept even if the power goes off. The logger has a capacity for 250,000 records.
- Is it possible to connect Damocles2 MINI to a cloud?
Yes, Damocles2 is a “cloud oriented device”. It can be connected to cloud systems as a “Cloud sensor”.
Use the HTTP-based HWg-Push protocol, MQTT, or contact us for details.
- Damocles2 supports HTTPs. Can I upload my own certificate to the device?
Yes, a security certificate can be uploaded to Damocles2. For details, see AN46: HTTPS in Poseidon2 and Damocles2 units.
- Do you offer a SW solution that will alert me to a failure of a Damocles2 unit?
Yes, you can use the HWg-Trigger application that runs on any Windows PC.
Another option is the www.SensDesk.com online service – a portal for HW group devices.
- What is the maximum number of e-mail recipients for alerts?
Damocles2 itself can send e-mails to at most 5 e-mail addresses.
With the www.SensDesk.com online service or the HWg-Trigger application for Windows, email relay alerts to OK/Alarm states can be sent to more than 5 e-mail addresses.
- Is there an app for my mobile phone?
Yes, several third-party apps for Android and Apple are available here: Android and iPhone mobile app for HW group products
- Can Damocles2 MINI detect the presence of 230VAC (e.g. the input voltage of an UPS)?
Yes, use the input voltage detection feature of a PowerEgg unit, or any relay with a contact connected to one of the IN1-IN4 “Dry Contact” inputs. A relay output of a Damocles2 can control the 110/230V output of a PowerEgg.
- Can I connect voltage detection to DI (“wet contact”)?
No, digital inputs (DI) are designed for direct connection of a voltage-free contact (“dry contact”), such as a door contact or a relay output.
- What is the warranty?
The standard warranty is 2 years, can be extended upon request.
- Where can I find the prices of your devices?
Ask our distributors, or request a quote from us (by e-mail or by filling out this form).
>> Online order form
|Damocles2 MINI set
||Damocles2 MINI quick start set with a power adapter.
Contains a Damocles2 MINI, a universal power adapter, a CD and a manual. - photo
|| Damocles2 MINI stand-alone device.
A Damocles2 unit without accessories.
|Mount plate E – 1U
|Mount plate D
|DIN Rail box set
||Central SMS Gateway – start set
damocles2 mini, dry contact, ip relay, ethernet relay, web relay, webrelay,
snmp relay, relay, alarm relay, on off switch, remote power off, email relay, sms alarm
remote io, sms relay, remote input output
ipv6, security, DI, digital input, DO, relay output, dry contact input, io module, remote relay, modbus tcp, web io, remote control relay, remote relay control, s0 counter, meter pulse counter, remote shutdown, remote control switch, power relay, remote reboot, mini relay, remote power control, web controlled relay, ethernet relay controller, web i/o, relay over ip, web enabled relay, dry contact snmp, IoT, sensdesk, mqtt
Similar and related products