Damocles2 2404: Networked remote I/O with secure SNMP v3 and IPv6
Damocles2 2404 connects 24 dry contact inputs and 4 relay outputs to a network. Secure M2M communication (HTTPs, IPv6, SNMPv3).
The product can be powered from a 12V source, over PoE, or using the Telco –48VDC standard.
Damocles2 2404 is an I/O unit for telecom applications featuring secure communication and 12V, PoE or -48V (Telco standard) power options.
Digital inputs (DI) can accept 12 dry contacts, digital outputs (DO) control 4 relays. Remote I/O can be controlled using secure SNMPv3 or HTTPs protocols or standard M2M protocols (SNMP, Modbus/TCP, XML). Support for IPv6 simplifies deployment in Telco applications.
Professional I/O signaling over a LAN
- HTTP / HTTPs
- SNMP v3
- MQTT for cloud (IoT) applications
- TLS for sending e-mail
- -48V Telco power standard support
- IPv6 support
Portal / Cloud support
- I/O can be connected to the SensDesk portal.
- The MQTT interface allows connection e.g. to the MS Azure cloud.
- SMS GW can be used to signal Internet connectivity failure.
Damocles2 can be connected to various monitoring systems. We support over 50 different third-party NMS, SNMP, SCADA or Cloud applications. It can work as a snmp relay.
Damocles2 2404 is typically used to monitor many remote relay outputs.
Examples include fire detection, alerts from technical equipment, door contacts, etc. States of connected I/O are then displayed in the customer's monitoring system.
- Ethernet: RJ45 (10/100 BASE-T)
- WEB: Built-in web server (IPv6, HTTP, HTTPs)
- Data logger: Data logger for more than 250.000 records
Digital outputs (DO): 4x DO relay output (low-voltage NO/NC relay contact)
- Digital inputs (DI): 24x DI for dry contacts (state detectors)
- Pulse counters: 32-bit S0 counter at every DI
- Power supply:
- Power 1: 9-30VDC (consumption approx. 250 mA / 12V)
- Power 2: PoE (IEEE 802.3af)
- Power 3: -48V DC Telco standard (-30V to -60V)
Operating temperature: -30°C to +65°C (14°F to +140°F)
- Mechanical: Plastic box, wall-mountable, DIN rail, 116 x 179 x 46 [mm]
- Warranty: 2 years
- Cloud support: HWg-Push protocol, MQTT
- Reaction to a change at a DI: SNMP trap, Email (TLS), SMS
- Sending text messages (SMS) and dialing numbers: Alerts can be sent as text messages (SMS) via a remote “HWg-SMS-GW3” over the network, to a maximum of 5 phone numbers.
- M2M communication protocols: SNMP (SNMP version 1 and version 3), XML (HTTPs), Modbus/TCP, MQTT, HWg-Push
- IP mode: Supports IPv4 and IPv6
- Box-2-Box mode: Remote relay output for other HW group products
- Support for programmers: HWg-SDK
- Recommended online portal: SensDesk.com – free online portal
- Supported software
- HWg-Trigger: Control of other IP devices, alarm redirection to SMS
- HWg PDMS: Logging, export to MS Excel, reports
- Third-party software (SCADA systems, Modbus/TCP)
Damocles2 product family
|DO (Digital Outputs)
|DI (Digital Inputs)
|32bit pulse counter on each DI
|HWg-Push protocol (required for SensDesk.com)
|SNMP v3 & HTTPs secure protocols
|-48V power for Telco
|VDO (Virtual Digital Output)
|PoE (IEEE 802.3af) support
Remote equipment monitoring. Detection of power outages / UPS activation. Alert states, access to cabinets, alarm detection.
Values from inputs and outputs can be shared in several different applications. Relay outputs can be controlled as remote I/O.
- Monitoring and controlling remote I/O over the Ethernet (high security) I/O status is securely communicated to the central system (HTTPs / SSL security).
- Connecting I/O to a cloud portal (MQTT protocol)
- Remote monitoring of dry contact inputs:
monitoring of various legacy technologies over IP
- Surveillance systems
Connecting I/O to an IP CCTV system.
Remote equipment monitoring
Monitoring of A/C, UPS, security system status (status relays)
- Energy consumption metering
Counting of pulses from electricity / water / gas meters. Conversion to price per time period using HWg-PDMS and MS Excel.
Remote I/O connected to a MQTT server
- All Damocles2 products can be connected to a MQTT server.
- SSL communication (high security).
- Works with any MQTT server.
- MQTT support allows connecting Damocles2 remote I/O to various cloud systems, such as MS Azure, Amazon AWS etc.
- Can be used to read DI states and control DO (relay outputs).
Secure remote I/O
- Damocles2 2404 is connected to a LAN and powered via PoE (IEEE 802.3af) or from the -48VDC Telco standard.
- Damocles2 works as a converter for remote I/O (digital inputs and outputs).
- For secure communication, SSL can be used in SNMPv3, MQTT or HTTPs.
- Compatibility with IPv6 is useful not just for Telco providers.
- One Damocles2 unit can be connected to multiple systems at the same time.
- DI and DO states can be easily connected to a SCADA system, a BMS (Building Management System), etc.
- The relay outputs of Damocles2 2404 can be connected, using the Box-2-Box mode, to a Virtual Digital Output (VDO) of a Poseidon2 unit in the network.
- Support for the MQTT protocol enables connecting Damocles2 remote I/O to various systems, such as MS Azure, Amazon AWS etc.
- Damocles2 can signal urgent alarms with SMS or by dialing a phone number. The HWg-SMS-GW3 gateway is used to do that.
- Values are logged, the log can be displayed and processed e.g. in the HWg-PDMS utility for Windows.
- Damocles2 relay outputs are rated for low voltages. To control 110/230V, PowerEgg2 can be used.
Detectors (most popular)
FDR26 Smoke Detector
Smoke detector (12VDC power, relay output)
Open door detector
Impaq shock sensor
Vibration detector (12VDC power, relay output)
Gas Leak Detector
Detector of flammable gases (12V, relay output)
Power failure detector (relay output)
Motion PIR detector
Motion detector (12VDC power supply)
>> Overview of all sensors and detectors
Software and applications
- Configuration: UDP Config – Configuring the IP address
- Reaction to events: HWg-Trigger (MS Windows)
Sends a text message or displays a warning whenever a value is out of a specified range or a monitored device fails
- Monitoring and logging: HWg-PDMS
Monitoring software, graphs, database of readings, output to MS Excel
- Online service for remote monitoring: www.SensDesk.com
- Third-party software:
- Mobile phone apps: iPhone, Android and more..
- Third-party SNMP (NMS) solutions compatible with HW group
Nagios, Cacti, Zabbix, The Dude, Paessler PRTG, OpenNMS, HP OpenView, IBM Tivoli, Axence nVision, Ipswitch WhatsUp, CA NSM, SNMPc and more..
- Third-party security solutions + IP cameras + home automation
- Third-party food & medical software solutions
- Third-party industrial / SCADA solutions
- For programmers: HWg-SDK
Description of the M2M interface and examples of collecting data and working with the protocols in several programming languages
>> Software and applications
Connecting to the SensDesk.com online portal
- Damocles2 2404 can be connected to the SensDesk.com online portal.
- Damocles2 relay outputs can be controlled from the SensDesk portal.
- The "AutoPush" function allows the SensDesk portal to detect a change of a digital DI input within several seconds.
- SensDesk now supports "CheckPush" – when enabled for a device, this function ensures that an output is activated within 60 seconds at the most.
- All devices, digital inputs (DI), relay outputs, history and charts can be viewed from anywhere over the web, or in a mobile app.
- For programmers: Devices connected to the SensDesk.com portal can be monitored using a XML interface.
>> About SensDesk.com online portal
Text message (SMS) alerts
SMS alerts can be sent to mobile phones from Damocles2 2404 in several ways:
- Directly over the network using SMS-GW
A text message can be sent from the Damocles2 2404 I/O unit to a specified phone number using the HWg-SMS-GW gateway.
No software is needed. HWg-SMS-GW should be connected to the same LAN. Sender's phone number is defined by the SIM inserted in the HWg-SMS-GW unit. Recipient's phone number is configured in the Damocles2 unit, similarly to e-mail recipients.
One HWg-SMS-GW gateway can be shared by several devices (e.g. the STE2 WiFi/LAN thermometer in the picture).
- With the HWg-Trigger application for Windows
The HWg-Trigger application can run in the background on any PC with MS Windows. The application checks for device failures, disconnected sensors, or digital inputs in alarm state. Alarm status can be notified e.g. by sending a SMS to a specified number using a “HWg-SMS-GW” in the same LAN.
- With third-party software applications
Many SCADA (e.g. CapTemp) or SNMP (Nagios, Zabbix, ..) applications can monitor the status of the Damocles2 unit and send alerts via SMS.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the difference between Damocles2 and Poseidon2?
– Poseidon2 reads values from various sensors and only features a few I/O inputs and outputs.
– Damocles2 only supports dry contact digital inputs and digital outputs, does not support any sensors. Damocles2 features pulse counters at each input and Modbus/TCP protocol support in all models. Only a Damocles unit can work as the output for the Box-2-Box mode based on SNMP traps and input/sensor names.
- I found several different Damocles2 devices. Are there any differences in their functions?
Damocles2 units only differ by the number of digital inputs and outputs, power options (12V / PoE / -48V) and the type of outputs (relay / open collector).
All Damocles2 models are the same in terms of protocols and software.
- The "Telco -48V DC" power input does not indicate polarity. How should I connect the power?
The 48V DC Telco power can be connected to this power input regardless of polarity.
This power input accepts 30 to 60VDC.
- Damocles2 2404 offers 3 ways of connecting power. Are they mutually exclusive?
No, Damocles2 simply needs power from at least one power input.
- Can I control relay outputs using the Damocles2 2404 web page?
Yes. However, the output must be in the "Manual" mode.
If the output is in the "Local condition" mode, change its mode to "Manual" first.
- Damocles2 2404 supports pulse counting at digital inputs. What happens if the device is restarted?
Damocles2 2404 features a non-volatile memory that keeps the counter state even if the power supply is interrupted.
The 32-bit counter (max value: 4294967296) can be only reset over the web interface.
- Can Damocles2 log values?
Yes, Damocles2 includes an internal memory for the data logger. Data are kept even if the power goes off. The logger has a capacity for 250,000 records.
- Damocles2 supports IPv6. Can it also be found in an IPv6-compatible network?
Yes, the latest version of HWg-Config can find HW group products in IPv6 networks, too (MS Windows version only).
The complete IPv6 address can be also seen in the product web interface.
- Is it possible to connect Damocles2 2404 to a cloud?
Yes, Damocles2 is a “cloud oriented device”. It can be connected to cloud systems as a “Cloud sensor”.
Use the HTTP-based HWg-Push protocol, MQTT, or contact us for details.
- Damocles2 supports HTTPs. Can I upload my own certificate to the device?
Yes, a security certificate can be uploaded to Damocles2. For details, see AN46: HTTPS in Poseidon2 and Damocles2 units.
- Damocles2 supports SNMPv3; can it also receive SNMP Traps in SNMPv3?
No, Damocles2 can receive SNMP Traps but only in SNMP v1.
- Do you offer a SW solution that will alert me to a failure of a Damocles2 unit?
Yes, you can use the HWg-Trigger application that runs on any Windows PC.
Another option is the www.SensDesk.com online service – a portal for HW group devices.
- What is the maximum number of e-mail recipients for alerts?
Damocles2 itself can send e-mails to at most 5 e-mail addresses.
With the www.SensDesk.com online service or the HWg-Trigger application for Windows, e-mail alerts to OK/Alarm states can be sent to more than 5 e-mail addresses.
- Is there an app for my mobile phone?
Yes, several third-party apps for Android and Apple are available here: Android and iPhone mobile app for HW group products
- Can Damocles2 2404 detect the presence of 230VAC (e.g. the input voltage of an UPS)?
Yes, use the input voltage detection feature of a PowerEgg unit, or any relay with a contact connected to one of the IN1-IN4 “Dry Contact” inputs. A relay output of a Damocles2 can control the 110/230V output of a PowerEgg.
- Can I connect voltage detection to DI (“wet contact”)?
No, digital inputs (DI) are designed for direct connection of a voltage-free contact (“dry contact”), such as a door contact or a relay output.
- What is the warranty?
The standard warranty is 2 years, can be extended upon request.
- Where can I find the prices of your devices?
Ask our distributors, or request a quote from us (by e-mail or by filling out this form).
>> Online order form
|Damocles2 2404 set
||Damocles2 2404 quick start set with a power adapter.
Contains a Damocles2 2404, a universal power adapter, a CD and a manual. - photo
|| Damocles2 MINI stand-alone device.
A Damocles2 unit without accessories.
||Central SMS Gateway – start set
Damocles2 2404, snmp relay, security, ipv6, https, DIN rail, remote i/o, secure smtp,
Poe, DI digital input, relay output, ip relay, ethernet relay, dry contact input, web relay, Relay, modbus tcp, alarm relay, modbus tcp ip, remote control relay, remote relay control, s0 counter, poe power, email relay, remote controlled relay, din relay, remote I/O, modbus IO, remote power control, web controlled relay, remote input output, meter pulse counter, din rail mount
Similar and related products